Share |

Woman suffers minor injuries in trailer fire

Shortly after 10 a.m. on March 6, the LaGrange County 911 Center received a call from a distraught woman who had awakened to find her residence at 335 North Street Lot 72 in Topeka on fire and filled with smoke.

Dispatchers quickly gave instructions that led the caller to locate a window, break it out, and jump from the window to safety.

The Topeka Volunteer Fire Department, ´╗┐as well as the Shipshewana Fire Department, quickly responded to the scene and by 10:41 a.m. had the fire under control, preventing the fire from spreading to other nearby residences.

The 911 caller was the only occupant in the home at the time of the fire and was transported to Parkview LaGrange Hospital, where she was treated for smoke inhalation and lacerations sustained from breaking the window.

The Topeka Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Shipshewana Fire Department, Topeka Police Department, Parkview EMS, and the State Fire Marshal’s Office.