Share |

Teachers at Amish schoolhouse escape carbon monoxide leak

Three Amish school teachers were able to get out of a small schoolhouse that had filled with deadly carbon monoxide gas Tuesday morning.

According to reports, three teachers lived at the schoolhouse on CR 300W. Two slept in an attic area while the third slept in the basement. One teacher woke up early Tuesday morning and was able to wake one of the others. The third teacher was reportedly unresponsive at the time the emergency call came in around 5:30 a.m.

According to Topeka Fire Chief Stewart Bender, all three teachers were out of the building and conscious when emergency crews arrived on the scene.

One teacher was transported to Parkview LaGrange Hospital. The other two were treated at the scene.

Crews found two sources of carbon monoxide: an exhaust leak on a well water pump in the basement and a stove pipe that had a 90-degree elbow joint fall off. It was reported that the stove pipe joint was in a storage room and not easily seen.

According to Bender, the school did have a carbon monoxide detector in the basement, but it did not have a battery.

Carbon monoxide detectors are not required by state law.