Steam whistles. Smokestacks. Boilers. They’re all coming back to LaGrange.
The Northeast Indiana Steam and Gas Association is puffing its way back into the LaGrange County 4-H Fairgrounds next weekend, Aug. 9-12, as they host the 31st Annual Antique Farm Power Steam and Gas Show.
The 2012 show will feature Cockshutt and Co-Op tractors.
The show will be filled with everyone’s favorites, including the parade of steam engines and antique tractors. A farm stock tractor pull will take place on Saturday at 9 a.m. – for fun only.
The Northern Indiana Garden Tractor Club will exhibit their collections during their 7th annual reunion held at the same time.
Demonstrations will run throughout the weekend, including a steam-powered sawmill, threshing, plowing, and more.
The flea market is always a big draw for people searching for good deals, as well as hard-to-find parts for engines and more at the trading post.
Entertainment planned for the 2012 show includes the Backroad Ramblers on Friday at 7 p.m. Saturday will see the classics from the1950s and 1960s.
A special banquet for the Cockshutt Society is planned for 6 p.m. on Saturday at Lakeland High School.
Cockshutt Plow Co. history
James G. Cockshutt founded the original Cockshutt factory at Brantford, Ontario, Canada, in 1877 as the Brantford Plow Works. It was renamed the Cockshutt Plow Company in 1882, when it incorporated, manufacturing primarily plows.
After James died shortly thereafter, his brother William Foster Cockshutt took over as president. He remained until 1888, when another brother, Frank Cockshutt, became president of the company. In 1910, Henry Cockshutt, the youngest of the brothers, took over the leadership of the company. Under his direction, the company was able to obtain financing for acquisitions and expansion.
Known for quality designs, the company became the leader in the tillage tools sector by the 1920s.
Cockshutt eventually made arrangements to sell the production of the Frost and Wood Company, a firm founded by Ebenezer Frost in 1839.
Cockshutt entered the tractor business in 1946, although the company marketed several different models. Cockshutt was purchase by the Oliver Corporation in February 1962.
Cockshutt tractors reflected current designs. In 1957, seven different models were available under the Cockshutt trademark. The 1957 Cockshutt “30” was the same tractor as the Co-Op E-3 tractor.
The 1957 directories listed plant locations at Brantford, Ontario, and Bellevue, Ohio.
During the final years, the company sold Oliver tractors and was finally acquired by Oliver Corporation, part of White Motor Company, in 1962.