LaGrange County Commissioners upheld the denial of a rezone petition for 68.5 acres of land on the west side of SR 9, south of Howe. LaVern Kauffman had sought the rezone from A-1 (Agricultural) to I-2 (Industrial) and the LaGrange County Plan Commission recommended the denial at its April 22 meeting.
Factors contributing to the recommendation of a negative vote presented by Plan Commission Director Bob Shanahan were:
· Location would be a spot rezone.
· There are no public services available at the site.
· Soils are not receptive to conventional sewage system.
· Need for structures to be over a public drain.
· Substantial wetland on the site
· Water table is high.
· Property is close to Pigeon River.
Commissioners also accepted five different plats, all of which dedicated more highway rights-of-way.