The LaGrange County REMC Board of Directors is accepting applications from non-profit service organizations for environmentally-friendly projects that will benefit LaGrange County.
Types of projects that might be funded by EnviroWatts include:
· Developing renewable energy sources and resources;
· Reducing energy use;
· Improving water quality of rivers, streams and underground aquifers;
· Improving air quality of local area;
· Enhancing species diversity;
· Creating or restoring habitat for wildlife;
· Planting trees or native plants;
· Encouraging recycling;
· Educating individuals about safe disposal of waste, especially hazardous/chemical waste;
· Educating the public on local environmental issues;
The grant is made available from REMC members who participate in the REMC’s EnviroWatts program. Members pay an additional 1¢ per kWh for their first 500 kWh guaranteeing the number of kWh to be generated from environmentally-friendly alternative energy sources. That premium is placed in a fund that is used to fund environmentally-friendly projects in LaGrange County.
Not-for-profit organizations in the community are encouraged to apply for a grant. Applications are due into the REMC office, 1995 E US 20, LaGrange, IN 46761 by Monday, March 4, 2013. The REMC Board will make the funding decision(s) at their March board meeting and grants will be awarded in early April.
Applications can be found at www.lagrangeremc.com/programs or picked up at the office located at 1995E US 20 in LaGrange. For more information, call 260-463-7165.