Share |

Nominations sought for Purdue Extension Board

The Purdue University Cooperative Extension Board in LaGrange County is seeking candidates to serve as board members beginning in March.

The LaGrange County Extension Board provides local program direction and support for Purdue Extension educators serving LaGrange County.The board meets several times a year in this advisory capacity. The board plans and approves the budget request presented to the LaGrange County Council, selects new educators when a vacancy occurs, provides program direction and evaluation, and conducts the annual LaGrange County Extension Board meeting.

The board is comprised of leaders from many sectors of the community and includes representatives for the various Purdue Extension program areas including agriculture and natural resources, consumer and family sciences, economic and community development, and youth development.

The membership of the LaGrange County Extension Board is elected annually with the next vote scheduled for the annual meeting on February 27.

The National Cooperative Extension Service is one of the nation's largest providers of scientific research-based information and education. It's a network of colleges, universities, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, serving communities and counties across America.

The LaGrange County Extension Board is composed of 15 adult members serving three-year terms as well as four youth members serving two-year terms. The terms sequence so that five adult members are elected each year. Adult board membership is limited to two consecutive terms. Two new youth members are appointed each year by the current board from applicants who are sophomores in high school.

The board’s nominating committee is currently seeking people who are interested in serving a university-affiliated, equal opportunity board. Interested citizens are encouraged to contact the Purdue Extension office at 499-6334 by February 20.

Questions can be directed to LaGrange County Extension Director John Emerson at 499-6335 or