For the second year in a row, the historic Sylvan Springs campus has been listed as one of Indiana’s Ten Most Endangered Landmarks. Don’t miss a chance to tour this historic property.
The LaGrange County Library is hosting a tour of the facility on Saturday, Sept. 29, starting at 1 p.m. Registration is required, and a small fee is due at registration.
Register at the LaGrange County Public Library or call 260-463-2841 ext. 1030 for more information.
Sylvan Springs was founded by Dr. Gelderman in 1895 as a health spa called Kneipp Springs Sanitarium. The doctor was assisted by the Sisters of the Precious Blood, medically-trained nuns from Dayton, Ohio. In 1902, the Sisters bought the property and ran it until 1976.
At that time, the Sisters sold the property to The Way International, who used it as a Biblical research and training facility until 1998. Since then, the property has passed through various hands. A non-profit group is now working to renovate the property as a community and cultural center and spiritual retreat.
Sylvan Springs is the only Canonically-approved apparition sight in the United States. Mary, the Mother of Jesus, appeared to Sister Mary Neuzil there five times, beginning in 1956. Many people who visit the site tell of feeling incredible peace, and some report miraculous healings.