The LaGrange Street Department has announced that leaf and brush pickup has begun and will continue through Dec. 14. Brush and limb pickup is on the last Wednesday of each month and as time permits.
Over the next two weeks, leaves will be picked up on an as needed basis, approximately every four to five days. Once fall is in full swing, the majority of the department’s work days will be spent picking up leaves.
The department offers the following tips to make the process easier on everyone:
· Place leaves on the roadway, not in the yard.
· Be careful to avoid traffic hazards.
· When the leaves are dry, they will be picked up using a leaf vac. When leaves are wet, tractors will be used. When leaves are placed in the street, either method can be used to pick them up with no risk of damage to lawns. If for some reason leaves cannot be raked into the street, it may take a little longer for pickup, depending on conditions.
· Do not mix leaf piles with brush, twigs, stones, etc. as this debris can be hard on the leaf vac.
· At the end of the leaf season, weather permitting, the street sweeper will be run along all city streets for a final cleanup.
Brush and limb pickup will be done around the last Wednesday of each month, and also as time permits. Place smaller brush-piles on the roadway, being careful to avoid traffic hazards. If you have larger limbs to be picked up, cut them into smaller sections if possible as this allows the street department to gather more debris at one time, eliminating numerous trips back and forth to the compost site.