Share |

Hoosier tax tips

The Indiana Department of Revenue is here to assist the approximately 900,000 Indiana taxpayers who have not filed their annual tax returns. Individuals must file and pay before the April 15, 2014 individual income tax filing deadline.

The department’s customer service division is ready to assist taxpayers with last-minute help or questions at (317) 232-2240.

The department receives an average of 1,400 phone calls per day about individual tax questions. The average wait time for the department’s customer service section is two minutes and calls are completed in an average of four minutes.

Additionally, Indiana has special filing considerations for military personnel. Military personnel and families can visit and read Information Bulletin #27 for information about extensions of time to file, taxability of income, combat zone issues, deductions and more.

How to file

Indiana offers INfreefile, a free online filing system for qualified taxpayers. Visit to see if you are eligible to complete your state and federal taxes using INfreefile. More than 85,000 Hoosiers have filed with INfreefile so far this year.

What if you owe? 

You should file a tax return by April 15 even if you cannot pay the tax due. The easiest way to pay is through the secure ePay site at If you cannot pay the full amount due, you can:

1.         Send as much of the amount owed as possible when you file your return. Penalty and interest will be due on the unpaid amount. The more you pay when you file, the less penalty and interest you will owe. The department will send a bill within a few weeks of your filing with the remaining amount due.

2.         If you cannot pay any amount, send in your tax return without payment. The department will send a bill within a few weeks with the full amount due plus penalty and interest.

Taxpayers can qualify for a bill payment plan if they owe more than $100 and can pay at least 20 percent down. Businesses must owe more than $500 and pay at least 20 percent down. After receiving a bill, taxpayers can set up a payment plan online or request it by contacting the department. Once the plan is approved, payments can be made online or by mail .

If you believe you qualify for a payment plan, call (317) 232-2165.