The LaGrange County REMC Board of Directors will be accepting applications from non-profit service organizations for environmentally friendly projects that will benefit LaGrange County.
Types of projects that might be funded by EnviroWatts include:
· Developing renewable energy sources and resources;
· Projects that reduce energy use;
· Improving water quality of rivers, streams and underground aquifers;
· Improving air quality of local area;
· Enhancing species diversity;
· Creating or restoring habitat for wildlife;
· Planting trees or native plants;
· Encouraging recycling;
· Projects that educate individuals about safe disposal of waste, especially hazardous/chemical waste;
· Educating the public on local environmental issues.
Applications for a grant from the EnviroWatts program are due into the LaGrange County REMC office at 1995 East US 20 in LaGrange by Friday, March 14.
The REMC Board will make the funding decision(s) at their March board meeting and grants will be awarded in early April.
LaGrange County REMC members who participate in the EnviroWatts Program pay an additional $0.01 per kilowatt hour (kWh) for their first 500 kWh guaranteeing the number of kWh to be generated from environmentally friendly alternative energy sources. That premium is placed in a fund that is used to fund environmentally friendly projects in LaGrange County.
Anyone who would like to participate in the program should contact customer service representatives Audrey or Julie at 260-463-7165.