Share |

Engine shop destroyed in Monday evening fire

An engine shop on Hawpatch St. south of CR 200S was destroyed Monday evening by fire after hot ashes were reportedly thrown into a trash can.

The Topeka Fire Department was called to 2525S 50W around 8:30 p.m. Monday to find the engine shop fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters from the LaGrange Fire Department also responded to the scene.

No one was home at the time and no injuries were reported. The shop was listed as a complete loss, although some equipment was salvaged from inside the shop.

The owner later told firefighters that he had emptied ashes from a woodburning stove into a trash can earlier in the evening.

LaGrange County EMS and the LaGrange County Sheriff’s Department also assisted at the scene.