CANI (Community Action of Northeast Indiana) still has funds available for the Energy Assistance Program (EAP) in LaGrange County. Appointments may be made by calling CANI at 423-3546 or 1-800-589-2264. A mail-in application is also available on CANI’s website at www.canihelp.org.
Applicants must meet income levels:
· One-person household – No more than $16,335 annually.
· Two-person household – No more than $22,065 annually.
· Three-person household – No more than $27,795 annually.
· Four-person household – No more than $33, 525 annually.
· Add $5,730 for each additional family member.
The following information must be provided by applicants at their appointment, or submitted with the mail-in application:
· Documentation of household gross income, such as payroll check stubs, employer statement stating gross year to date wages, Social Security, Supplemental Social Security, veteran’s benefits, and/or pension award letters and complete unemployment statement for the past 12 months for everyone in the household age 18 and older.
· If anyone age 18 or older in the household has no income, they must obtain a wage history statement from the local WorkOne office. If they are attending high school, they must submit their school schedule in lieu of a wage history statement.
· Current heating and electric bills at current residence.
· Social Security numbers for everyone in the household.
· If renting, you must submit a lease or a completed Landlord Affidavit. The Landlord Affidavit can be found on CANI’s website at www.canihelp.org.
The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps pay a portion of a client’s heating bills during the winter months. The program also provides air conditioners or electric bill credits during summer months, depending on a family’s situation. Last year, CANI helped more than 11,000 families with their utility bills.
CANI helps communities, families, and individuals remove the causes and conditions of poverty. For more information about CANI and the services provided, visit the website at www.canihelp.org.