Low-income families looking for relief from the intense summer heat can still turn to CANI (Community Action of Northeast Indiana) for cooling assistance.
CANI’s Summer Cooling program began June 4 and runs through Aug.17, providing families who were approved for the heating assistance program a $150 credit on their electric bill.
Applications for households that did not receive heating assistance since Oct. 3, 2011 are being accepted.
The maximum yearly income allowed is:
· One-person household – No more than $16,335 annually.
· Two-person household – No more than $22,065 annually.
· Three-person household – No more than $27,795 annually.
· Four-person household – No more than $33, 525 annually.
· Add $5,730 for each additional family member.
This is not an emergency program. CANI does not call in benefits, nor can the program be used for disconnects.
CANI helps communities, families, and individuals remove the causes and conditions of poverty. For more information about CANI and the services provided, visit the website at www.canihelp.org.